The Director of Accounting will serve as an integral part of the management team and will report directly to the VP Finance. The Director will be responsible for the general and transactional accounting activities for the US entity and the international subsidiaries, inclusive of the general ledger, accounts payable, expense reimbursement, credit card program, capitalized assets, liability recognition, and the related internal controls associated with the accounting activities. The Director will also be responsible for the accounting related to the company’s pivotal global phase 3 clinical trial. The Director will oversee the company’s internal and external financial reporting. The Director will directly manage the Manager, Accounting and Financial Reporting, Accounting/AP Manager and Tax Manager (to be added within FY2019). There are also two AP Specialists that report to the Accounting Manager.
Our ideal candidate is a CPA with at least 3 years of public accounting experience and 10+ years of experience at Life Science companies with responsibility for the clinical accrual and payments for multiple clinical trials.
Key Duties and Responsibilities Our Director of Accounting is responsible for:
General Ledger and Financial Reporting: Oversight of the trial balance of U.S. companies and the international subsidiaries. Ensure accuracy of balances recorded in accordance with U.S. GAAP. Team with Accounting Managers to ensure overall success and stay ahead of issues.
- Provide oversight for the quality and accuracy of financial information for both internal management financial reporting and external financial reporting. All internal and external financial reporting are prepared by the Manager, Accounting and Financial Reporting.
- Lead efforts to maximize the proper utilization of the Company’s various accounting and financial reporting systems.
- Responsible for ensuring Company policies relating to its accounting, transactional processing, and financial reporting are strictly followed. Develop further policies and/or enhance current policies.
- Implement process improvements to the general accounting functions to drive operational efficiencies while maintaining the accuracy and integrity of the underlying accounting records.
- Phase 3 global clinical trial: Responsible for the management of all the payments to the CRO and clinical sites in accordance with the terms in the CRO contract and the clinical site budgets.
- Accounts Payable: Lead the Accounts Payable group, which includes ensuring appropriate steps are taken for timely disbursements and accurate recording in the general ledger.
- Expense Reimbursement: Direct the administration of the Company’s expense reimbursement system, SAP Concur. Ensure the expense reimbursement system and compliance with the Company’s expense reimbursement practices are strictly followed.
- Credit Card Program: Lead implementations and ensure proper management associated with the Company’s credit card program.
- Capitalized Assets: Lead the accounting team in the recognition of capitalized assets, including fixed assets, intangible assets, and various prepaid and other assets. Ensure compliance with applicable U.S. GAAP. For fixed assets, ensure appropriate recognition, classification, and safeguarding of assets.
- Liability recognition: Ensure the accuracy and adequacy of the various liabilities recognized within the U.S. business, including accounts payable and accrued expenses, accrued compensation and related expenses, and other liabilities.
- Integrations: Act as a key leader in the integration process for the Company. Provide guidance and instruction for various subsidiary locations. Perform integration assessments, and ability to consolidate accounting activities with the Corporate Finance team as appropriate.
- Internal Controls: Ensure the Company maintains its robust internal control environment relative to the U.S. business and overall consolidation. Act as a key process owner on internal controls and business processes. Recommend control changes and enhancements as needed.
- Audits: Provide oversight to the Manger, Accounting & Financial Reporting who will be managing the company’s inception-to-date audit in 2019.
- Accounting Requirements: Ensure team members stay up-to-date on applicable technical accounting pronouncements. Be a leading resource for the team. Provide oversight for the resolution of technical accounting issues.
Desired Education, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- Minimum of three years in public accounting
- Minimum of ten years overall accounting experience in roles with increasing responsibility, in the life sciences industry being directly responsible for the payment and accruals related to clinical trials.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Exceptional self-management ability
- Process improvement mindset
Location: San Mateo, CA
Min. Experience: Intermediate