Rakuten Aspyrian is in need of an experienced Import/Export Logistics Manager. This is a key position to streamline our global supply chain efforts and act as a liaison to support logistics-related activities such as import/export for CMC, Clinical, and Global Supply Chain. The Import/Export Logistics Manager will serve as an integral part of the Supply Chain team and will report to the Associate Director of Global Supply Chain. We are looking for a professional who has extensive experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry, and who has specific experience in logistics activities related to import/export, licenses, tariffs, insurance, VAT reclaim, and importer of record services. The Import/Export Logistics Manager will additionally focus on improving our relations with existing vendors (i.e. 3PLs and couriers) while finding new suppliers who can meet our needs more efficiently. We are a forward thinking organization with expansion on the horizon. Rakuten Aspyrian is looking for someone who is willing to grow with our company and willing to meet the challenges.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
• Manage the import/export process and ensure compliance with U.S., EU, Asia Pacific and other foreign government laws and regulations.
• Oversee the completion of paperwork and transactions associated with international distribution in a timely manner.
• Assist CMC, Clinical, and Global Supply Chain on matters like tariffs, insurance, VAT, proforma or commercial invoices, import/export licenses, and quotas.
• Advise Finance, where appropriate, on financially significant / relevant activities, such as VAT and customs refunds / payments, key vendor milestone payments, and contract terms for future logistics agreements. Specific activities include: shipping logistics budgeting, commercial invoices statements, retrieving C88 receipt for VAT reclaim, and authorization of shipment charges and invoices.
• Work with manufacturers and distribution centers to ensure proper documentation is in place to avoid customs delays.
• Responsible for the shipping logistics of Rakuten Aspyrian intermediates, drug substance and drug product.
• Establish a good working relationship with Rakuten Aspyrian couriers.
• Tracking and providing shipment updates of critical shipments to SMEs. In the event of shipment disruptions, develop contingency plans or facilitate expedited shipments.
• Create, revise and route to completion import/export logistics procedures and forms
• Executes and oversees tasks related to Importer of Record (IOR) activities such as regulatory requirements, product integrity, duties and taxes.
• Optimize shipment routes to reduce lead-times, shipping costs, and duties.
• Establish partnerships with 3PL’s and distribution centers in order to ensure a robust global logistics network. In addition, develop KPI metrics to monitor and analyze logistics effectiveness.
• Categorize shipments according to harmonized tariff systems and consult with customs agents to facilitate customs clearance.
Desired Education, Skills and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Supply Chain Management or related field
• Knowledge of Trade compliance elements (i.e. HTS Codes, Export Classification Commodity Numbers)
• CPIM certification preferred
• 7+ years’ experience in logistics, distribution, and import/export.
• 5+ years’ experience in Biotech/Pharma industry
• Outstanding negotiation skills
• Successful work experience as an Import/Export Manager
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines
• Strong organizational and project management skills, including ability to multitask and organize/track information
• Previous experience with combination drug-device studies, and/or global clinical trial experience a plus
Location: San Mateo, CA
Department: Global Supply Chain