The primary focus of the Medical Writer/Sr. Medical Writer will be the development of new scientific content. The Medical Writer/Sr. Medical Writer will conduct literature reviews, perform reference searches, and develop abstracts, posters, slide decks, review articles and scientific manuscripts.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Draft, edit, and submit abstracts, posters, and manuscripts targeted for publication in peer reviewed journals.
- Work closely with both internal stakeholders (e.g., Medical Affairs, Clinical Development, Biostatistics, R&D, Regulatory, etc.) and external stakeholders (e.g., authors, HCPs, KOLs, etc.) to ensure the timely development, review, and publication of documents.
- Manage the internal review and approval processes (team review and comments resolution, QC checks, finalization and approvals), and submission process (e.g., interface with journal editors or scientific conference planning committees, electronic and online portal communications, generation of cover letters and author responses, electronic consolidation of submission documents, etc.).
- Support development and tracking of publication plan.
- Assist with the development of slide decks, white papers, training modules, product monographs, HCP/Payor/patient materials, as needed.
- Assist with developing and updating company guidelines and SOPs pertaining to publication function.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in in life sciences or other relevant scientific discipline, or equivalent required. Advanced degree preferred; Doctoral degree (PhD, MD or PharmD) a plus.
- >3 years of related experience of which, a minimum of 2 years of experience writing/editing scientific documents/publications experience in the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, medical device, or medical communications industries.
- Functional Knowledge – expertise in Good Publication Practice, ICMJE guidelines, AMA style and other applicable industry guidelines.
- Experience or background in oncology is a plus.
- Experience submitting abstracts and manuscripts to congresses and journals.
Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
- Excellent writing ability with strong editorial and formatting skills.
- Strong verbal communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Ability to convey scientific data and communicate key messages in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to work cross functionally, collaborate, negotiate with and influence stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
- Commitment to scientific accuracy with ability to read the primary literature and analyze data.
- Basic to intermediate knowledge of biostatistical and clinical research concepts.
- Familiarity with project management tools, electronic literature search tools and obtaining copyright permissions.
- Strong Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) skills
Travel Requirements: 10%
Location: San Mateo, CA
Department: Medical Affairs
Min. Experience: Intermediate