As part of the Business Development and Alliance Management team, the Senior Manager of Business and Corporate Development (B&CD) will be responsible for supporting the company’s overall corporate strategy with a focus on marketing and financial analysis, completive strategy, life-cycle management, licensing and partnerships, including due-diligence processes to support corporate growth and diversification of Rakuten Aspyrian’s pipeline.
The Senior Manager of B&CD will work extensively with business development functions, scientific and technical teams, as well as executive management to integrate comprehensive planning, analysis and licensing functions.
The successful candidate will build a network in the academic and biotechnology space to raise awareness of Rakuten Aspyrian’s partnering objectives and capabilities. They will integrate input from various functional areas across the organization to create high-quality, clear and concise due-diligence reports and presentations with recommendations to Rakuten Aspyrian’s Executive Management team.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
• Support strategic planning and analysis of financial models related with product development, commercial strategies, including analysis of internal and external assets under consideration for licensing or partnerships
• Support strategic planning that may include HECON strategy, brand positioning, commercial challenges, launch roadmap strategy, build-up of commercial operations, etc.
• Support life-cycle management activities such as label expansion strategies, evaluating competitive landscape and clinical positioning for Rakuten Aspyrian products.
• Support the Business Development team in the creation of KOL discussion guidelines for in-depth interviews with Key Opinion Leaders and onsite discussions with scientific advisory board to determine the competitive positioning of the company’s products.
• Support the Business Development team in determining the competitive landscape for Rakuten Aspyrian products and develop strategies for positioning and initiating clinical trials.
• Support the executive team in developing Marketing and Branding strategies for ongoing clinical trials and Rakuten Aspyrian products.
• Work with the R&D team to identify, evaluate and champion innovative opportunities and business structures such as new research collaborations, pre-clinical and clinical compounds, and/or technologies for collaboration and licensing
• Responsible for establishing external contacts with Industry and Academia based on company priorities
• Responsible for building and maintaining the Alliance Management database consisting of milestones: financial, clinical, and research updates for existing and future partners
• Support the Business Development group in building and managing a portfolio of partnership opportunities aligned with company goals, from conceptualization to deal completion, and external relationship networks
• In collaboration with Legal, facilitate contract drafting concepts; with R&D, support search and evaluation, licensing and scientific diligence teams; with FP&A, support commercial valuation, forecasts and risk analysis to build business cases
• Build and maintain databases on competitor activities, provide analytic review and context
• Facilitate clear and effective communications with foreign and domestic points of contact
• Other duties as assigned
Desired Education, Skills and Experience
• MBA and/or PhD degree required
• 7+ years of relevant experience with at least 5 years working in the Pharma or Biotech Industry are preferred
• Proven track record in strategy planning and financial analysis of complex programs
• Effective network in the Biopharma industry
• Understanding of the relevant business context of drug development
• Experience in effectively managing industry-academia interactions
• Effective team work, networking and interpersonal skills
• Excellent analytical skills, organization and coordination skills
• Outstanding communication and presentation skills
• Knowledge of scientific, medical, and pharmaceutical terminology
• Experience in document or records management processing
• Travel up to 35% of time required
Location: San Mateo, CA
Department: Corporate and Business Development